Wednesday, March 29

God Bless McDonald's!



I finally found an internet connection!!! Outside McDonald's, downtown Ena-shi!

And I'm here! Here's the update I prepared this morning, a little long-winded, but I have so much to share! I think the First Impressions entry will have to wait, but here's how I've spent my time so far!

I finally made it here, after about 18 hours of travel time (including layover, excluding driving). The flight was uneventful, glad I took the window seat! My layover in Tokyo-Narita was somewhat unpleasant – hauling around my 3 big bags, plus the increasingly-heavy carry-on (I almost didn’t get it into the overhead bin on the second flight, I was that exhausted from sleep and food deprivation and lugging it around). I had to go through customs, then pick up my luggage and then, based on the baggage lady’s advise, get it onto the elevator and up to the 4th floor. At which point I realized I was in the wrong place, so then hauled it onto and off of the shuttle bus to Terminal 2. Waiting there for my next flight I was unsuccessful in staying awake, same went for the plane.

Upon arrival in Nagoya, I was met by Scott from Interlink who drove me, another girl from NYC and her cousin, plus huge 5 bags, two carry-ons and a backpack – all in a sedan – to our little hotel in Nagoya. After being dropped off and taking a quick shower/teethbrushing, we headed out to find something to eat, ending up at a ramen joint.

The next day, I was picked up by Kazuyo from Interlink, and she brought me here to Ena-shi (Ena City). We applied for my alien registration card, went to the department of water (Suidoka), to the bank, found some maps (not very detailed), changed somemoney and got some lunch. After that, we headed to my little house where its previous occupants were still dealing with the utilities guys, paying their final bills and frantically trying to finish cleaning and packing up the last few things. Apparently we weren’t expected until 3. Ah well, they made it, I made it.

After we’d settled everything in the house, Kazuyo led me down to the Kahma, a home-goods store, so that I could, most importantly, purchase something to sleep on. Among other things. My first time driving on the other side. Yikes! But I did it and managed to find my way back, all without incident. At the Kahma, I found my stuff, but when I went to check out, there was an issue with my card. Actually, it may have been minor, but since I couldn’t understand what she was asking me – or what the next 2 people also asked me, in the exact same way - I had to use cash. Thanks Hawy and Maria – you saved me!

Once home I went to work cleaning like crazy, figuring out how to use the toyo (kerosene heater) etc. etc.

Yesterday I went for a walk in the morning, down the other side of the hill, to see if I couldn’t find the konbini (convenience store) they’d mentioned. And find it I did: a Circle K. Go figure. After “lunch” (a third slice of bread with the Jif I’d brought) I went downtown to find the post office so I could withdraw some cash, then FOOD SHOPPING at Valor so I didn’t have to eat anymore PB on bread. Got a pot and a pan, too, so I could make things.

I finished unpacking yesterday afternoon, finally, and did my first load of laundry. The clothes are still drying this morning. Yowzas.

Anyhoo, that's it for now. I'll be working on some more interesting postings in the days to come!

Good times, everybody!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home