Monday, March 29

Capital Hanami

This weekend the National Cherry Blossom Festival kicked off with some events yesterday, and a Tidal Basin ringed by Yoshino Sakura mainly in full bloom.  And just enough buds to keep it interesting.

 The Washington Monument

I knew it was going to be crowded, but I decided early on that I wasn't going to worry about that.  In fact, people often lend a nice touch to sakura pictures.  


 Right, Jo?


 Washington Monument


Joseph was a little wary of American Hanami, but he got over it.


 Jefferson Memorial


Strolling 'Round


What would Japanese cherry trees be without a random lantern?


The lovely shidarezakura are in short supply, 
but these Yoshino sakura were delightful in their own way.




Sakura Fingers
A freshly budding tree provides a bit of contrast.


Pagoda
 Lest the lantern feel sabishii.


Sakura Hanabi

Don't Pick the Blossoms
Having hanami-ed in Kyoto, Joseph fancies himself a true champion of the sakura.


 Just the one shidarezakura.
And some yellow forsythia behind.

I looked and looked for pink and yellow, as Yasuko once explained that they are the spring colors.  But alas, pink sakura were in short supply, as were yellow flowers.

Shidekobushi
Star Magnolia



2 Comments:

Blogger Tabag said...

I'm so glad that you blogged again. I love your pictures! I wanna go see you in Washington and go exploring with you! Have you been to my new blog yet?

10:52 AM

 
Blogger Abbey said...

Thanks, P! Do come soon!!!

Yes, I went to your blog and left you a comment!

9:56 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home