Thursday, March 30

Day 4


Thurs. 30 March, 7:16

Good Morning, Babies!

Another long posting for you!

This morning I woke up, under my sheet, doubled blanket and sleeping bag, to a stuffy, runny nose and a really cold house. How cold, you say? Why I’ll show you:



So much for it warming up today.

The neighbors are up. How can I tell, you say? Why, I can hear them opening their shutters. Here in Japan, where there is no insulation on the houses and apartment buildings, and where typhoons are prone to strike (especially further south and east), there are shutters that slide over. Some are metal, some are wooden. They are housed in a case next to the window and you simply open the window and pull them across the windows. They help to keep the house warm and to prevent the windows from breaking in the event of a typhoon. I like to leave mine closed as long as possible in the morning to keep as much heat in as possible. Not that there is any outside of my two main rooms: the kitchen and the tatami room which I have claimed as my bedroom. I keep the kitchen door closed so that I heat just the two rooms.

My house with shutters open




My house with shutters closed




I love my little house. I’m still getting used to not having to worry about making noise for the lady downstairs. I do feel guilty, though, because I’m only one, and in the house next door there are 5. Grandparents, parents, son. In the same size house. Right now I have two rooms that are basically empty, and they have all three packed to the gills.


Here is my kitchen, in all its cluttered glory. Notice my two extra lamps, the bags for recycling, my drying rack for clothes (will be moved to another room in the warmer months), etc. etc. And all my folks on the fridge!



And now, the moment you’ve all been waiting for: my bedroom, AKA the tatami room.

Looking in - my "computer desk"



My neatly made bed and bedding.

Looking out. Check out the cool doors! That's glass, not paper.



I got it all purtied up for you. Actually, I have to keep it neat because of that big sliding door to the outside there. Granted, the bottom part is all fuzzy (I forget what they call that – tempered?), but should anyone care to look in, they could.

And finally, just so you believe that I’m actually here:


3 Comments:

Blogger Todd said...

Ab, a few comments:

1. You know the neighbors are hating on you hard. You better pull some Home Alone stunts to make it look like a full house.

B. Tempered glass = hardened. You probably meant Frosted.

III. Nice view.

Four. I see Puppy is resting peacefully. What a good boy he is.

Over and out,
Yo Bruddah

9:35 PM

 
Blogger Abbey said...

A. True. Or leave my curtains closed, but that blocks the free heat in the morning.

2. Ok, how about "warbly"?

D. Thanks. (By the way, get the reference, speaking of HA?)

4. Yes, Puppy has been a great companion in my lonely little house.

7:01 AM

 
Blogger ** said...

YAY! More pictures!! It's good to see the pics. Hey! As long as the McD's doesnt mind you sitting outside in the car, then I say.. WOOHOO.

1:15 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home